Saturday, September 29, 2012

Top 8 Early Signs of Pregnancy, and Why I Have Every Single Symptom Each Month

With the help of the American Pregnancy Association, I have compiled a list of my favorite symptomes of early pregnancy.

1. Missed Period- this is when day 30 rolls around and despite the cramping you have not yet been visited by Aunt Flow. I most definately have this one in the bag. I haven't menstruated on my own for 4 years now. Definately pregnant.

2. Swollen/ Tender Breasts- this symptom can be observed as early as 1-2 weeks after conception. Nevermind that my boobs get sore before every period as well. This month they are bigger; I'm sure of it! That one bra that used to be too big is now cradling these puppies comfortably. I must be pregnant.

3. Fatigue/Tiredness- another early sign of pregnancy is feeling tired, which can be felt as early as one week after conception. Check! I'm practicly sleepwalking through my 12-hour school-days. I'm sure it has nothing to do with my new cycling class. Yup I'm pregnant!

4. Nausea (Morning Sickness)- the most infamous sign of pregnancy is morning sickness. Why does this happen? According to WebMD, it is because the hormones of pregnancy cause your stomach to empty slowly. And yup, you guessed it, I also get a little nauseous every morning. (And that couldn't possibly be a side effect of the Metformin I'm on, right???) Better pull out the stretchy pants cuz I'm prego!

5. Backaches- specifically, the lower back, which, I have found, can be remedied with a warm compress. I'm sure this has nothing to do with hauling my half-dozen textbooks around campus all day. I told you already, I'm pregnant.

6. Food Cravings or Food Aversions- seriously, keep those nasty-smelling hard-boiled eggs away from me. And please bring on the chocolate, I need some extra calories for the baby growing inside of me.

7. Frequent Urination- okay, this one isn't supposed to occur until around 6-8 weeks after conception, but let me tell you, I pee every other hour on the hour. Gosh, that microorganism of a baby must be pushing on my bladder already! What am I going to do with him/her?!

8. Headaches- I feel one coming on right now as a matter of fact. Whoa these pregnancy hormones really do take you for a ride!

I would like to note that I am not a doctor, nor do I have a degree in any kind of medical discipline and therefore hardly know what I'm talking about. Also, as a side note (which you can choose to ignore as I do every month), most, if not all, of these symptoms can also be indicative of an impending menstrual cycle. But what the HEY! It was fun pretending to be pregnant for those two magical weeks between ovulation and the crimson title wave. Here's to hoping for next month, because next month is a new cycle!

Yours Truly,
Sister K

1 comment: