Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Little Extra Clomid Never Hurt Anyone . . . I Think

All right, so we did the second round of clomid at 50mg with zero success. Fast-forward 25 days later and we are starting round three of clomid at 100mg. If you're new at the clomid thing, here's how it typically works. The first day of your period is considered Day 1 of your cycle. If you have PCOS like me, sometime between Day 1 and 5 you have to go into the doctor's to check your ovaries for cysts. If there are any cysts then the clomid is a no-go and the whole round is ruined. But if you are cyst-free then you get clomid!! YAY!! Clomid is a hormone drug that bulks up the follicles in your ovaries so they are ready to be released when you ovulate because frankly, you can't ovulate without an egg. . .

Clomid is to infertiles as marijuana is to teenagers: it's the gateway drug. Typically, doctors start off at 50mg because they don't want to "over-stimulate" the ovaries. Gradually the dose is increased to 100mg and if that still isn't working, 150mg. This month I hit the jackpot of clomid! As I was dividing out my pills for the week I noticed the pharmacist gave me 2 extra clomid pills. At first I thought I had counted wrong. Then I realized that fate has finally stepped in! I thought I was meant to have these two extra pills, like a sign that I NEED these two pills to have a baby (twins possibly??). Why else would this have happened?!?

On the other hand . . . when I checked the doctor's orders it said to take 2 pills twice a day for 5 days. I could just take an extra days worth, but the nurses are monitoring my ovaries this month (so they behave) and what if they can tell that I took more clomid than was prescribed?

But what if taking the extra pills could improve my chances of multiple births? I can handle quintuplets!

And there is my dilemma. I know taking the extra clomid won't work. But I wish there was a magic pill that I could take that just makes me pregnant immediately. In the mean time, I have two clomid pills tucked away in my sock drawer.

Yours Truly,
Sister K

1 comment: