Wednesday, August 22, 2012

It's the Ovulation Game!

A normal fertile woman has a hormone cycle like this:



Any variation of these hormones can sabotage your chances of conceiving. So the past few days I've been waiting for my LH hormone to spike. This would indicate ovulation and consequently, baby making time!! Each morning I wobble to the toilet, take a seat and aim into that oh-so-tiny cup. Then I wait 3 minutes for a line to appear. For those of you who haven't had the privilege of monitoring your hormones in this fashion, it is just slightly more confusing than taking an at-home-pregnancy pee test. But this time the "test" line that appears doesn't really count unless it's as dark or darker than the control line. And if comparing lines wasn't confusing enough you have a 7 minute window to read a positive test but a negative test isn't read until after 20 minutes?? I'm not sure how this makes sense so I just keep checking the test every 2 minutes in case it gets darker.

After 11 days I never did see that elusive "dark/darker" line. The doc had me come back in for more blood tests to check my progestrone to make sure I hadn't ovulated and missed it. I don't see how I would have ever missed that . . . I didn't ovulate (sad face). I think my hubby is gettting anxious for us to get pregnant because he suggested not only upping the clomid dose but also monitoring my ovaries throughout the month and an HCG trigger shot to force an ovulation. I'm starting to feel like an experimental bunny rabbit.

Even though I didn't ovulate I have to wait til day 35 and have a negative prego test before they force Aunt Flow to stop by, ten days later on day 45.

I wish there was a fertility clinic where you start in the first room with a treatment for a few minutes, and if it doesn't work you go to the next room to try the next treatment, and just like that you keep going room to room doing different things until you're finally pregnant, and the whole thing takes less than a day.  Not five years.

Yours Truly,
Sister K










No comments:

Post a Comment