Thursday, July 19, 2012

Progesterone Worked!

After our first failed attempted at clomid our doctor prescribed progesterone for 10 days, which bulked up the lining in my uterus. Then when I go off the hormone the lining "sloughs" off. The first time I was on this medicine it took about 5 days after finishing it for my period to start. I assumed this round would have the same results. However, this time ONE day after my last dose sweet Aunt Flow dropped in for a visit. I guess I was tempting fate when I wore white pants (true story).

I called my docotor to get all the tests scheduled. First, I got probed by what I call an "intra-uteran scan." Really it's a wand they insert to get a better view of the ovaries. The tech was excited to tell me that I do not have any new cysts (large/swollen follicles)!!! This is a great news because if you have new cysts you cannot do clomid that round. She expained that if you already have cysts at the beginning of your cycle, the clomid will "feed" the cyst and cause it to burst which can be very painful. And not only did I not have large follicles/cysts (which would be bad), but I had 22 normal-sized small follicles (good)!! So what is a follicle, you may ask. Here's a diagram:

Numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4 are all follicles (growing in size). A follicle is like a very small water-balloon inside of which is my egg (a too-small-to-see single cell). A "cyst" is a generic term for a fluid-filled sac. So, on numbers 3 and 4, the follicles have swollen and can also be called cysts. At the beginning of your cycle you want to only have #1's, and right before ovulation you want to have a few #4's. This is all explained in a very easy-to-understand way on a website I found: fertilityfile.com. So having a lot of small follicles is good! I'm crossing my fingers for TWINS!!

I also got my blood drawn to test my hormone levels. The next step is taking clomid from day 5- 10 and also an HSG test (HysteroSalpingoGram, ie open-tube test) between day 6-10. I can't wait to do the HSG test, because it's supposed to be so fun and tickle alot. NOT!! I guess that's what I'll write my next post on . . . if anyone has suggestions for me please leave a comment!

Yours Truly,
Sister K

No comments:

Post a Comment